Have you tried cold soups? Aside from being refreshing, they’re super easy to prepare. This summer we’ll be featuring recipes that don’t require ovens or stoves. That’s why today we’re featuring these delicious cold soups.
I love soup because I am from Caracas, Venezuela and we used to have lunch with soup from Monday through Friday. During the hot summer months cold soups were an easy solution. Here are three of my favorite recipes.
1. Mango Gazpacho. Technically, you only need two ingredients for this soup:
- 2 cups mango pulp, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups clamato (clam and tomato juice), cold
- Garnishes: red pepper, jalapeños and chopped red onions
Instructions: Mix the mango and clamato in the blender until a smooth and creamy soup forms. Chill for at least an hour before serving. Garnish with the peppers and chopped red onions.
2. Yogurt and cucumber soup. This soup is so yummy and you can prepare it in a few minutes.
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 bunch of chives (1 green onion), minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Puree all the ingredients in a blender until you see a creamy, smooth soup. Chill for at least two hours before serving. You may garnish the soup with croutons, chives or chopped cucumbers.
3. Traditional Gazpacho from Andalucia. This is a true Spanish classic. The gazpacho andaluz is THE soup that sets the standard for cold soups. This recipe is from Miami’s famous restaurant Dolores-Lolita.
- 2 pounds (900 grams) Roma tomatoes, cut in pieces
- ¼ pound (113 grams) diced cucumber
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 ounces or 4 tablespoons white vinegar
- 9 ounces or 1/4 liter extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ pound (113 grams) of bread
- 1 red pepper paprika, seeded, cut into pieces
- 1/8 pound (56 grams) chopped onion
Puree all the ingredients in the blender until creamy. Chill for at least half an hour before serving. Garnish with thick slices of toasted bread, diced cucumbers and peppers.
En español: Sopas frías: 3 recetas deliciosas y frescas